Wednesday, May 30, 2012

Happy (Belated) Memorial Day!

Hello Everyone!

How is everyone doing today? I hope really well. :) Today is Wednesday, and we just got the chance to email today. Monday was Memorial day, so the libraries were closed, and yesterday was Zone Conference over in Bossier City, and we hitched a ride with our Zone Leaders (biking that far didn't sound like fun...) and afterward, Elder Shumway wanted to visit some of his Spanish investigators in Sherevport, so we did. So no chance to email yesterday.

Zone Conference was awesome yesterday. Probably the last time I will see President and Sister Tucker on the mission. We talked about a new finding activity, "harvesting" is what they called it. Essentially, we talk to people (either street contacting, or tracting) and say more or less, "Hello, my name is Elder Mendenhall and this is Elder Crockett. We are representatives of Jesus Christ. He has sent us to leave His peace and blessing in your home. May we come in and leaving this blessing with you?". Of course, a little more personable, and then if they say yes, we go in, gather the family, learn a little about them (names, ages, etc) and then kneel in prayer and voice a blessing upon them and their home (not dedicating the home, just blessing). Bless them all by name, etc. Some missionaries have already tried it with some success. Like President Tucker said though, it's not some silver bullet or cure all. It is just another finding activity to try. It will work sometimes, sometime not. It should be fun to do though, once I get past the initial awkwardness of it. :D

Life is just fabulous, for no other reason then I am alive and have a knowledge of the Gospel of Jesus Christ. I love my Savior and His work. :) I want to be more like Him, to feel the love that He has for all of my brothers and sisters. I love the South. I really do. I also love Utah though, and I can't wait to get back there. In the meantime though, I am enjoying myself here in Monroe. I love Elder Crockett. He's a good kid. :) Oh! I got to see Elder Kington yesterday too! It was great seeing him again. I love that kid to death! 4 1/2 months in Philly with him was just amazing. Hahaha, we had such a good time together. He is still over in New Boston, TX (his second transfer there). He's loving it!

On a secular note (and future note, but it makes me happy now)... I received a scholarship to BYU-Idaho. It's not's too big, about 1/3 of tuition cost, but I am happy to have it. Any little bit helps. Still not sure what I got it from (I assume I have Debi to thank there) but I have it. Super cool. I am excited to go there come January. I don't know if I ever mentioned it to anyone really, but I have decided for now to major in Recreation Management. I want to work with youth in an outdoors environment and help them better their lives and to succeed. To make a difference. :) Anyway, I am excited to go to BYU-Idaho. :) Come to find out, according to Rachel (as in my cousin Rachel), there will be about 7 of the "Shelton" family up there. Marlie and her husband, Jamie Shelton, Rachel, Ryan and his new wife, and then Camille Jolley. And myself. Super excited for it all. :)

Okay, everyone. I love you all. I need to wrap this up as I have a couple other emails to write. I love all of you! :)

Love,
Elder Mendenhall







NOTICE: This email message is for the sole use of the intended recipient(s) and may contain confidential and privileged information. Any unauthorized review, use, disclosure or distribution is prohibited. If you are not the intended recipient, please contact the sender by reply email and destroy all copies of the original message.


No comments:

Post a Comment