Monday, May 16, 2011

March 28, 2011

Dear Everyone!

Life is just absolutely amazing! I am the very proud uncle of now eight nieces and nephews! Abby will be almost 2 by the time I see her, but I am still proud. Hmmmm... that would be tough having a job (like being in the military) where you are away from your own kids when they are growing up and missing parts of their lives... hearing them talk for the first time, walking, etc. I don't know how some of these Navy families here in G-port do it. Speaking of the Navy families, I talked to one of them for the first time yesterday.... Brother and Sister Farmer. Mainly Sister Farmer, as she was in the foyer after church and her husband was in a meeting. Anywho, she has two little girls. And I asked her where she was from.... she said Salt Lake. Knowing people just say that because they don't know if you know specifics, I asked where at by Salt Lake....any guesses where?! That's right! Good ol' Taylorsville, Utah! She graduated in 2005 from Taylorsville High School.... making her a sophmore when Debi was a senior? Correct? Either way she is going to look through her high school yearbook and see if she can find her. It will be legit if I can see a picture of my sister that someone else has here in G-port. Hahahahahaha, I already know what picture it is... at least I think I do. Anyways, Sister Farmer lived over by SLCC area. She wasn't positive, but she THINKS Bro. Farmer might have been in T-Ville 13th ward. I am going to talk to him more about it this weekend, hopefully! How cool? Small world after all!

Speaking of this weekend.... CONFERENCE!!!! Alright! I am totally pumped! It will be my first one as a missionary. I cannot wait! I am super excited! And Elder Todd and I have thought up a plan (with a little inspired help of course).... we are going to hold "cottage meetings" at member's houses who plan on watching conference there. Meaning, bring investigators over to member's homes to watch general conference and then to teach them about the gospel more as well! How amazing is that!? Hopefully the Farmers will let us go there. They have a lady that lives kiddy corner to them that is going to come to church next time, but we want to have her watch conference and to start teaching her. She is also a Navy family (the Farmers live on the Navy Base). And this weekend we plan to have a less active member or two at the Connor's house (also a base family). Then hopefully Samantha at another member's house, and we THINK we are going to a member's house that invited us over for a session on Sunday. We at least know they are feeding us. So that is our four sessions. I'm pumped!

Okay. So Elder Todd accidentally broke our phone last week and our car will be going in the shop tomorrow to finally get fixed from it being driven into a ditch a few weeks back. We are supposed to be getting a phone sometime this week, but we will most likely be phoneless and carless for a while. (Though we have a Fed-Ex package waiting for us at our apartment office, but it wont be there until 5. We missed the Fed-Ex guy. It could be our phone... or it might not be. Who knows. Elder Todd and I are both expecting packages from people, but I don't know anyone that would send something Fed-Ex... we'll see)

We both got sunburned last week from p-day on the beach. Mainly my face and neck and part of my arms. My neck is peeling pretty bad today. Elder Todd got a pretty nasty burn on his feet and legs. His ankles were swollen for a couple of days from walking and biking on them when they were burned that bad. We're both good though! And I am basically over my cold. Just blowing my nose a ton, which is also partly from the fact that there is pollen everywhere.

So Thursday, we had a church tour with Samantha! We got Brother Hillman to come and get us, go get Samantha and then we all went to the church. We then proceeded to show her the building and to teach her about the gospel of Jesus Christ! It was awesome (we thought). And she also came to church yesterday! Woot! It only took 6 weeks before we got an investigator in church here in G-port. Hey, we're working on it.

I FINALLY (well basically) caught up on letters that I needed to reply to! I have now been able to write a few that I have wanted to. I still have a long list of people I need to write though that are expecting a letter. I'm working on it. Though I am almost out of stamps. Precious commodity, stamps.

So..............I found out yesterday (and today) that BYU lost in overtime to Florida. We had a few members in the G-Port ward who were at the game (New Orleans is only a couple of hours away). Extremely sad day. But oh well. You win some and you lose some. We just need to learn to pick ourselves up again and keep on moving on. Learn from our experiences and mistakes, and those of others, and become a better person from them. Become closer to our Savior and better develop our relationship with him.

Gosh darnit! Life is just so amazing! Jesus is the Christ and the only one who can give us REAL happiness. In our personal lives, our family lives, and in our relationship with everyone we meet. Men are that they might have joy, and that joy is possible through Jesus Christ and his Atonement. The Atonement is NOT just for sinners or for sins. It is for EVERYTHING. Pain, sickness, sadness, hurt, jealousy, heart ache, being lovesick, being homesick, self doubt, and everything else! Christ is AMAZING!

So, the work goes on here, and everything else. OH!!!! Another thing to be happy about! My brother from another mother, my best friend, McKay, has his mission papers in!!!! He should get his call either this week or the next. How freaking amazing!!! Especially when he is called to the MJM Spanish Speaking! MWUAHAHAHAHAHAHA!!!!!! That would be so freaking amazing! Since Elder Todd is about to leave me, the bum! It is his last transfer in the mission. He has 37(?) days left! CRAZY!

I hope all is well with everyone! Keep the faith and be strong! Jesus loves you!

Love,
Elder
Dwight
Mendenhall

No comments:

Post a Comment